Monday, September 22, 2008

Trading Post (brave new world edition)

I wish I could say that my spec buy call on Andina Minerals (ADM.v) is the reason for its 25% pop this morning, but it's more likely due to the Saville crew and nothing to do with little me.
(By the way, I've had a couple of mails saying that downloading of
the free report is a problem from the freefile service. If you have a glitch, just mail me and I'll send the report by return, no worries. On the other hand I'm happy to see that 60 people have downloaded the report so far...not bad for one quiet weekend and a Monday morning. Thanks for the response, people).

Apex Silver (SIL) has been horribly beaten up these last few months, but today is putting in the veritable mother and father of relief rallies and is up a mere 66% on heavy volumes. The company still has serious financial issues that have beaten it down from the $20 PPS of yore, and there's also the Bolivia factor to add in to the mix. But even a dog like SIL must have an asset value price, no? This stock is only for the bold amongst us. Otto is far too chicken.

Back on September 11th, I pointed out the "blindingly obvious pair trade" of 'long GRZ and short KRY'. Back then GRZ stood at $1.22 and KRY at $0.98. Here we are seven trading days later with GRZ up 15c at $1.37 and KRY down 6c at $0.92. Nuff said.

Fortuna Silver (FVI.v) deserves yet another w00t, up 12% at $1.15. Want a top quality silver producer in your portfolio? Look no further. Yes I know I bang the drum on this one, but that's because I want to see you in this stock, too. This humble corner of cyberspace doesn't move markets on a dime, and you have all the time you like to buy it on my reco. Take a long term view on FVI and wait for the rest of the world to wake up to its value. I'm happy to say at least one long-time reader took a position in the stock at $0.85 due to my drum-banging, and that's what it's all about.

I mentioned Cosan (CZZ) a few days ago when it was down in the low $8s, and said "no knife-catching, please." Since then it has rallied on good weather news in southern Brazil and got close to $10. Today's an interesting buying opportunity for the valiant, because it's sold off 10% to stand at exactly $9 while the rest of Brazil makes solid gains (on the back on PBR again). With a weakened dollar, commods plays should be on your shopping list. This stock tempts me more than any other today. Interesting chart, too